Monday, June 25, 2012

Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1)
Lies Beneath

By: Anne Greenwood Brown
Publication Date: June 12th 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 303
Genre: Young Adult-Urban Fantasy
Rater Kayla 4.jpg

Summary:

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.- Goodreads


Review:

First, I want to talk about this cover! I personally think its beautiful! The water at the top of the book looks mesmerising. I think the cover goes perfectly with it, its not scary, nor girly, but somewhere around the middle.

Going into Lie Beneath I thought that Calder was going to be this ruthless merman, going on killing sprees with his three sisters, but no, he actually knows right from wrong, so he trys to fight the urge to kill. Which I liked about Calder, I found him to be quite sweet, for such an evil creature.

When Clader and his three sisters Tallulah, Maris, and Pavati move to the cold waters of Lake Superior Calders main focus is seeking revenge. The plan is to kill Jason Hancock to avenge their mother, but to do that he must get close to his daughter Lily. Calder orginally got close to Lily for a whole other reason, but its to late, he must choose, Lily or his sisters.

This was a totally fun read, it kept me entertained, and I enjoyed the new take on mermaids. Unfortunatly I thought it was going to be violent, and I was let down on the end, but other then that it was amazing! :D plus the cover for Deep Betrayl is stunning.

4 comments:

  1. Yay, so glad you liked it! It's interesting though because I wonder what the girl mermaid on the cover has to do with the boy mermaid and the human family. Yeah, leave it to me to ask random questions about cover-synopsis associations.

    *Reads last paragraph* *Does double-take* There's a cover for Deep Betrayal, and it has a title already?!? What the heck? Why didn't I know about this? *Runs away to see it for myself*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!!! I have this on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the review Mikayla! So so need this book! And I'm doing a review for Grave Mercy tommorow do drop by! Love the new blog touch ups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Like you, I thought there was going to be a bit more violence, but Calder's sisters were creepy/scary enough (especially Maris). I love mermaid books and not only do I like that more are coming out, but I also like that more are featuring mermen...score!

    ReplyDelete